Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Thursday, June 7, 2012

No Frills Fitness

Like so many Americans, I have paid health club fees pretty much all of my married years.  For most of those years, it was 100% profit for the club as we rarely if ever went.  That of course is different for me now.  I can remember being members of different YMCAs and of course being from the Minneapolis area, Lifetime Fitness was 'THE place' to be.  We have not been members of Lifetime since we moved to New Richmond, WI over 6 years ago but I know our dues were over $100 a month then.  My buddy Spiff just told me he is cancelling now as well because their dues were even higher at Lifetime.  It just is not worth it.

I think even today if I went into a Lifetime, the idea of such a big club would woo me back into thinking I wanted to be there again.  They sell it well and you look around at the amenities and cannot help but think of it as kind of a country club atmosphere.  You want to enjoy all of those amenities.  You want  to sit around after a workout and chat with friends, sipping a drink, enjoying life.  OK, a little bit over the top.  The truth is, when you go there, you change, workout and leave.  Time is short for these activities and the last thing you have time to do is lounge around just to be there.

Enter 2012.  A new breed of fitness is on the market.  No frills.  No gymnasium.  Few or no classes.  Just equipment, a few TVs, some loud music and sweat.

Since I belong to a community run and owned fitness center in  New Richmond, it obviously has no reciprocity elsewhere in the US where I travel.  The hotel I frequent in Miramar has crappy treadmills and so I needed a club down there.  I found YouFit Health Clubs.  $10 a month for single membership and for $20, you can bring a friend whenever you want and get free skin cancer, err, tanning.  I chose the $10 package.



On this season's Biggest Loser, they changed their sponsor from 24 Hour Fitness to Planet Fitness. Here also you get a customized if not completely arrogant color scheme on all of the equipment for just $10 per month.  Like YouFit, $19.99 gets you guest access, tanning and access to all locations.



Last night I saw yet another new strip mall fitness club.  This one is Blast Fitness.  Again for $10, you get access to their club.  Here for the big plan, you get group fitness, tanning and spinning classes in addition to the bring a friend deal.  They offer babysitting as well which might be in both plans.  Lastly, this club has a women's only area available.
I think all of these might be $10 for just the introductory period of one year (I know YouFit is that way) so it is best to check before you expect that rate forever.  The bottom line is that for less than I used to spend on a fast food stop, you can have a month of health club access.  Cost should no longer be an issue for anyone.  Everyone has $10.

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!